Well hello there. Over the next three months I'm going to be going from Japan to Australia and New Zealand... via 2 months spent on a big boat in the North Pacific. I'm part of the scientific team for IODP Expedition 324, which aims to sample deep basement rocks from a giant underwater volcanic-plateau called 'Shatsky Rise'. Should you be interested, you can follow what I'm up to here...

Friday 11 September 2009

Dimenhydrinate is my new best friend

Ok, sorry about all the sickness-related moaning earlier.

I’m not usually such a big drama queen, but I really did think I was going to die the other day, and the thought of spending two months draped over the side of the ship like a big useless lump was not an appealing one.

Anyways, you’ll be pleased to know that I’m now totally medicated up to the eyeballs, and no longer feeling so poorly. Hurrah! Unfortunately if you think I’m a tad rambley and incoherent normally (and lets face it, I do tend to waffle on sometimes), you really ain’t seen nothing yet.
Being on Dimenhydrinate is like conducting conversations underwater… when you’re drunk. Kinda fun for me, but must be maddening for the other scientists I’m trying to communicate with.

“Kate, as one of the shipboard sedimentologists, what’s your take on the sedimentary database setup we’re implementing here?”
-“Er well… yeah….it’s good…by which I mean…I think we should put the…er… you know…um…sediment size table…sorry I mean size column thingamy…to the left of the whatsa-ma-call-it…::trails off forlornly::”
“Right….thanks for your input”.

We had a lifeboat drill yesterday, which was pretty fun (and of course very necessary and important, ahem). Everyone dressed up in their lifejackets and hardhats preparing for the very worst!




But I’m not worried. The JR may rock and roll a bit on the ocean waves, but she sure is built solid. Built in 1976, refurbished in 2008, still going strong.

2 comments:

  1. oh my god thats so cool! did you get the shift you wanted? i know we discussed it lots but i still cant remember.
    you've only been there a little while- i think you are gonna be best friends with the whales by the end!
    also, what percent is your life now like the life aquatic?

    love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sal!
    I think both shifts are equally awful in their own way, so I'm pretty happy with my midnight-midday one. Saw a lovely sunrise this morning -the first one I think i've ever seen sober!- so that made getting up at 3.30am this morning worth it. We even saw a few dolphins frolicking in the waves :o

    This afternoon i'll be going to bed around 3pm and waking up at 11pm to reaalllly get on shift. Will let you know how my poor body copes with that later...

    Yes I am now up to 76% Life Aquatic. Go Team Zissou!

    miss you xxx

    ReplyDelete